Waterbelly - help!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MammaHen, May 20, 2008.

1. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    My meat chickens are now 6 weeks and are suffering from ascites (waterbelly) and I have lost a few (from heart attacks I presume!) I realise that there is little I can do for these chickens now as they are already in heart failure but what sort of humane feed restriction regime is there that I can put the next batch on to prevent them from eating themselves to death? All my chickens have access to plenty of foraging space, but I have to really encourage them to get out coz they would prefer just to sit in front of the feeders all day! Would putting them on a 20% less ad lib diet or no food at night diet be an option? Are these cruel?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You could, but you could also just have a "bad" batch of chicks. I feed 24/7, but by the time they are 6 weeks old, they are outside and go "in" to sleep and would have to stay "out" to eat if they really wanted to. There are various methods to feed them. Best of luck!

3. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    Thanks for that, I hadn't actually considered it might be a chicken issue and not me! I'm getting a completely different breed for the next batch. Gee whiz, this chicken business ain't for ninnies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by