watere nipples leaking

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ktm rider, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ktm rider

ktm rider New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    well, I just found the water nipples online. what a great idea. So, I showed wifey and she ordered them for me. She got them off Ebay and of course they are the chinese models. It seems that they are leaking onto my coops floor causing a wet mess. I'm not talking about them leaking around the edges, I mean they re leaking at the ends where the water is supposed to come out.

I really want to use the nipples because i already made the heated 5 gallon bucket ( two buckets and some heat tape method) and it gets super cold up here in the western Md. mountains. But this leaking business has to get resolved. I did a search here but no one has really discussed the quality issues with the various manufacturers of these nipples. To be honest they all look to be made exactly the same.

Are the chinese ones more prone to leakage or is that just something everyone lives with?

2. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    No leaks from the ones I bought on eBay. I can't tell you if they are Chinese or not.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh dear, I ordered some from eBay, too - and they came from China. I haven't finished getting them ready to go yet. Sure hope they don't leak!

4. ktm rider

ktm rider New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    I put three on the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and as far as I cod tell only one was leaking but it caused quite a wet area under it.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Be sure to tighten not only the part that goes into the drill hole, but the second part that screws into the top part. Also, before I screw them in, I use a small bead of silicone caulking around the hole and wrap the threads of the nipple with plumber's tape. Mine came from Ebay from China and I freakin' love them.

6. ktm rider

ktm rider New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    I put pipe dope on the threads. it is about as water tight as it can get. Hopefully it is just a bad nipple.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  7. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    If they aren't vertical they will leak. That's what drove me to beak cups.
    Keith

8. ktm rider

ktm rider New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    Quote:Yeah, they are vertical. I put them i thebottom of the bucket.
    i like the cups but with the severe cold we have I needed something that i could heat easily.

9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    You can always switch to the waterer cups
    They never leak
    [​IMG]

10. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    Quote:We switched from nipples to beak cups as well. They work wonderfully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by