1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Waterer as a feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Piglet835, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Piglet835

Piglet835 Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi all, I'm completely new to the chicken world. In fact their house is just under construction now. I ordered a small one gallon waterer for them and since then my dad has gotten me a larger galvanized waterer. I was wondering if I should send the small one back when it comes in or if by any chance I could us it as a feeder? I'm thinking I'm probably better off returning it and getting/making an actual feeder. What do you use?

The one in question looks like this
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC.
    I would hold onto the waterer -- while it would be impractical as a feeder, it is never a bad idea to have a spare around for use if you need to isolate a bird, need to have water in a brooder for a new batch of chicks, have something happen to the waterer you normally use, etc.

3. Piglet835

Piglet835 Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Babies! I didn't think that far ahead. Great idea! I do plan to have some of those at some point

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by