1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Waterer inside the coop or outside

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bluestem, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bluestem

Bluestem Chirping

Feb 4, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    My coop is just a few days away from being finished, but I was wondering if the waterer should be hung inside the the coop or in the run. I read in one of my books that they just hang it in the run. So, do chickens not need water at night when they're cooped up? Sorry if this is a super dumb question!

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    I don't put water inside as they only sleep or lay in there. I know lots of folks who do both. In their winter housing, I keep water inside with them 24/7.

Bluestem likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They don't come down off the roost in the middle of the night for a drink, if that's what you are asking.

Bluestem and rjohns39 like this.
  4. Bluestem

Bluestem Chirping

Feb 4, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Yep, that's what I was concerned about--I just didn't want them to go thirsty. :)

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    They don't drink at night, so if that's the main concern, just put the waterer out in the run.

Mine is in the coop but 1) I tend to get up late and 2) my waterer was built to fit into the coop I have, and I haven't had leaking issues, so I don't mess with it.

Bluestem likes this.
  6. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Songster 5 Years

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    People do it both ways. I personally keep the waterer in the run. The girls prefer to be outside during the day no matter how cold it is. So the water is where they hang out. By cold I mean -22 F.

Bluestem likes this.
  7. Patinas

Patinas Songster

Mar 22, 2017
    Washington
    I have one in and one out. They don't use the inside one much though.

Bluestem likes this.
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My water is in coop during frozen months, in run when it does not freeze solid. I use a heated dog bowl with a gallon water jug in the middle during the winter.

The biggest draw back I can see to water placement is if the birds get inadvertently stuck on the wrong side of the door for an extended length of time while the water is on the other side! I've had pop doors slip closed, had people door blow shut, trapping some birds in coop and others out. It's not a bad idea to have water both places if you're in a temperate climate!

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I place water inside the coop, inside the run, and outside my coop. In cold or rainy weather they tend to hang around in their coop quite a bit, so they would be thirsty. Good water intake is better for preventing crop problems or dehydration. We have a large coop in a small barn, so plenty of room. If something comes up that I cannot let them outside first thing in the morning they are all set to just stay in the coop. Also after a big snow, they will not come out unless I shovel a large path out into the yard. Some with tiny coops probably can't fit water inside or it may get spilled. So, you need to do what is best for your needs.

Bluestem likes this.
  10. LJoWilly

LJoWilly Songster

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Rain, snow or shine mine get fresh water daily and outside the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: