waterer problems and the out come for two of my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hennyandpenny, Mar 14, 2012.

1. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    my family and i got 13 chicks at the local fsc, we had them since friday... but last night the waterer was leaking pretty badly and noone noticed until this morning. two chicks where drenched because they appeared have been pushed beneath the other chicks, when i got home today one was fine and doing his/her thing but the other one appeared to be incapable of movement...so i picked it up to stimulate its breathing and such at first i thought it broke its back but it started to hope on one leg and use its wing to steady itself. this is my first time raising chicks. i have two older hens that can from the original 11 (yeah definitly a beginner) and i dont know what to do. the other chicks are crowding around it trying to keep it warm and confort it. please help me!

the chick appears to have bruising at the part where the feathers meet the scallypart could it be a dislocation or does that prove that it got broke?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea how to help you. Have you gone to the emergencies/Diseases/Injuries/Cures Section?

This is NOT an intentional bump, but maybe someone will be paying attention tonight. Sorry no one has responded to you yet, must have gotten lost in the shuffle.

3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Any update? How's the little one doing?

4. hennyandpenny

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    the one with the bruising died. i think the pain was too much for it or the bone was broken and it nicked an artery. i died a 2 days ago. [​IMG]sorry i wasnt able to get online. i think it died peacefuly/

the other one is doing well it just got drenched. no broken bones[​IMG]

5. Kelly G

Well...I'm glad you still have the other one :)

6. hennyandpenny

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    yeah me too... when we first got them the specled sussex had seven six so we said we would buy the seventh. we originally werent going to get any more chicks but hey what would another 13 hurt? they have 5 acres to roam on and a few might even be sent to another 5 acres with my grandma who does organic farming and has plenty of organic bugs for chickens. :) i found it dad when i got up in the morning and my dad buried it because i didnt have the heart to. :( at least he died with family and not alone

7. Kelly G

That's really nice HennyandPenny, and it sounds like you have a wonderfully supportive family, too. That's the most important thing!

8. hennyandpenny

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    thank you! i love my chickens and their individual personalities and my family like to watch them bc even though they dont get how to play they get certain things like when i wistle they came to me and i put them up for the night. i think they also learn quite quickly how to get to certain heights. my two hens perch on the window that is in the barn and they can see any predator comming while they stay out of reach. my family hopes that the chicks learn from them se we dont lose a many as last year.. it also helps that both of my parents where raised with chickens and other fowl. now we just need a dog [​IMG]and/or a cow.... yeah or maybe a pair of peafowl... heheeheeheheheheh our neighbors love us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by