Waterer question.

karmical

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
I cannot for the life of me get my 3 gallon, plastic waterer to work properly. I fill it up through the top (with the little white cap over the little hole where the water comes out)...then I screw on the black screw top on the top of it, but when I open the little white cap to let the water out into the "pan" it comes out with a tremendous gush and just doesn't ever stop!! Overflows every time. Am I doing something wrong? Or can these things possibly be defective? After so many tries and not getting it to work, I'm starting to feel like I'M defective!!

:eek::mad:

What a coincidence, the exact same thing is happening to me today. I've had the 7 gallon Little Giant for over a year, and it's worked fine for me. But today when I filled it, it just won't create the vacuum seal it's supposed to, and all the water slowly trickles out.

Hopefully someone will have advice.

Good luck. I've stuck to smaller waterers just because they are easy to fill and vaccumes are easier to create. Try checking for leaks at the top where air is getting in and try checking the base to make sure it is level enough. If water is gushing out, there must be some breach in the vaccume. Good luck.

We use the large watereers too. The only thing I can tell you is check for ANY hairline cracks in the plastic, and check the rubber ring on the inside of the lid for any cracks or tears. It does not take much of a hole or crack to make it not work right.

Quote:
I had the same problem with 2 of them and finally figured out the problem.

Take the lid off. Take the black rubber ring and put it very securely into the "bottom of the lid". Make sure it does not shift when putting the lid back on. Put the lid on tight so that you secure the vacuum. It should work just fine then.

I work in a mechanical engineering field that uses orings extensively. Orings are used to seal off areas from oil/water, or to create a vaccuum. If there are no cracks in the canister or top, as stated by Kristen, turn then to the oring in the top.
For an oring to work properly there are alot of things to consider. Check the oring for cracks or tears missing from it.
Also take into consideration it's hardness. It should be somewhat pliable. If it is hard or brittle it will not perform because it wont squish.
It needs to be able to be squished in the groove.
Check to make sure it is round. If there is an egg shaped spot that was squished to much and took a set it wornt seal.
By "took a set" I mean it wont come back to it's original round state after the squishing pressure is removed.
If none of this is the case, then check the groove the oring goes in for any deformation. If the walls on either side of the groove has been bent in an area, and has a slightly bigger radius as a result, the oring will no longer seal.
It should be slightly loose in the groove with the top off, and then squish out and seal as you screw on the top.

I have seen so many posts regarding problems with waterers on this forum! I'm so glad that in my excitement of having chickens, I didn't buy one! We use a bucket and it works beautifully!!

Jacie you're brilliant. Ring in the top as opposed to around the neck worked perfectly. Thanks to everyone! karmical, hope it works for you too.

I think the upturned plastic tub I had it sitting on was level, but just in case, I put two cinderblocks side by and side and pounded them into the dirt and leveled them with a level, then set the waterer on that. Maybe that helped too. Thanks everyone!

Mark

Newchickenmom&kids :

I have seen so many posts regarding problems with waterers on this forum! I'm so glad that in my excitement of having chickens, I didn't buy one! We use a bucket and it works beautifully!!

yep!! I got so tired of messing with waters that I started using buckets for the older ones too.. way easier to deal with..​

Yeah, I use buckets/bowls for my older birds too. 1 gallon founts for the younger ones or the dumb ones who fall into them.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom