Waterer question...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggsForIHOP, Jun 26, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    So techinically challenged - that's me right? It is.

I have access to an abundance of 5 gallon buckets and thought we would attempt to make our own waterer. Drilled some holes, set it up and then...THE FLOOD WAS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF NOAHS ARK! Chickens running for high ground, me - running for dry ground - so BEFORE I try again...did I do something wrong?

I put the holes in the bottom of the bucket prior to filling it - BUT I did NOT put the lid on. Am I supposed to put the lid on? Because lid off it took about 2 seconds for it to overflow the pan underneath. Also,I only did 2 tiny little 1/4 holes - should I go with something smaller? Should I find a way to plug said holes until I have the lid on? What have I done wrong this time? I have plenty of free buckets, but not enough dry shoes to keep this up! I think my problem was the lid thing...but would love confirmation on this! All input greatly appreciated!

2. Fox&hen

Fox&hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    i found this in another post. 06/15/2010 8:55 pm
    catdaddy66
    Overrun With Chickens

E-mail PM
    View My BYC Page Re: How do bucket/saucer waterers work?The bucket waterer needs to have its holes near the TOP where the lid is attached (screwed with my head at first, too). When full, replace lid and turn over into the tray...once the fluid reaches the level of the holes, the water stops flowing. Similar to the way a straw holds fluid w/ your finger over the top to create suction. That is why the lid needs to be on for it to work. Hope that helps!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. tylermckee

tylermckee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    You have to do like Fox&hen said, or find a lid with a rubber seal so its air tight. I got my buckets from a bakery and the lids seal well, so i can remove the lid, plug the 1/2" hole i drilled in the bottom and fill and replace the lid.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Good to know! I have the lids, just did it upside down! Now...off to try again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by