Waterer running over

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dolivo, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Dolivo

Dolivo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    [​IMG]Does anybody have one of these and know what to do to fix it? We press the lid down and it still runs over and spills out instead of stopping before the top of the lip.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Well, my guess is that there is some kind of a hole in the lid... For this system to work you need vacuum, and you can't have that if there's air coming in.

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    It needs to be level also.
    Lock yourself in a dark closet with a lamp inside the lid and look for light shining through. If it looks like a starry night, it's time for a new waterer. If you have a hole or two, repair with lead free solder. GC

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Like the previous poster says, it has to be level!

5. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    most of the water leaking issues I've run into have to do with the waterer not being level, if it's tilted enough to spill over the edge it will keep going till empty. those galvanized one's are nice but when they do rust through, they are threw.

the type that I've gotten very frustrated with is by a company called Free Range/Harris Farms, the groove for the locking lid is very close to the water level, if it's not perfectly level, mainly hanging, the water finds it's way through slits under the grooves... it's a madening design! mine leak sometimes even when they are hanging. this is the brand I'm talking about avoiding, to anyone in the market for a new one. http://www.midlandhardware.com/186938.html?gclid=COWyqPjGkNMCFYKHfgodNiEKYA

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. Dolivo

Dolivo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    Thank you everyone!

7. treefarmer42

treefarmer42 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2014
    Reading, PA
    I hate metal cans. Only use in Winter due to heated base. Switch to plastic 5 gallon bucket with lid and 4 nipples or cups. Trust me your thank yourself for the switch. Less $ wasted, cleaner water and less "funk" you have to scrub per refill.

8. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Denver, NC
    Make a 5 gallon waterer with horizontal nipples, you will not regret it. Clean water all the time and does not leak.

20170422_105015.jpg

Dolivo likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by