Waterer spilling

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
Well today a I went out to let the chickens out of their new coop and they had spilled there water everywhere ! :mad: Now half he pine shavings are ruined and I have to clean allot of them out WHAT A WASTE
sad.png
How do you guys keep your waterer from spilling?

Thanks in advance,
Henry

I hang my waterer with the bottom of the waterer level with the chickens backs. I have had almost zero water spillage since doing that.

For my chicks I used 4x4x cut to size and placed in a square with a ... ahh! I'm going to have to go get a picture ... I can't describe it. Be back in a little bit with the pic.

Thanks I should go take I picture of my waterer it is hard to hang I think but I am not sure I was going to get stuff to hang the feeder today.

Henry

Ok, here's my picture showing what we did with the chicks waterer.

My husband made the little top part with the hardware cloth on it. Not only do the chicks not spill this (ever) but they don't get shavings in it anymore since it's set up so high.

IMG_3520.jpg

WOW cool now I am thinking I have to go to the feed store and get a new waterer mine is a wierd plastic one :mad: thanks Chirpy thats a great Idea.

Henry

I do use a plastic one for my adult chickens but it has a handle so I can hang it from the ceiling.

I also have a weird plastic one (that's really small) that I use in my brooder when my chicks are very young. I keep graduating up to larger waterers as my chicks grow up.

Chirpy - That looks great. I might whip one of those up when I get a chance. I just have my little plastic waterer sitting on top of a couple 2 & 1/2-pound weights from a dumbbell. That raises the waterer up above the chips so I HOPE the chicks don't get chips in there.

I actually maybe have an idea mine has two handals on either side maybe I can use two strings IDK HMMMM I will have to go to stebins or home depot. I have decided not to build a roost today though.

Thanks again chirpy oh and those are beautiful chicks !

Henry

I have a three gallon plastic one. No one can knock it over. I set it on some blocks of wood but not hanging. The other thing you could do is tie it to a wall maybe with a bungee cord

My problem is that my hens are 5-10 lbs and huge and love to dig in the pine shavings LOL and since last night I assume jump around ontop of the waterer till it tips over.
lol.png
I cleaned up the coop and i put the water outside for them.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom