Waterer Transfer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Anne4596, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Anne4596

Anne4596 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2016
    Western Nevada
    I have 6 chickens who are currently getting their water from a big steel waterer. The steel waterer is such a pain to clean and it becomes dirty so fast that I ordered them a bucket with horizontal nipples. Anyone have any tips on how to transition them to drinking from the horizontal nipples?

2. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I'm having that problem. I went from open waterer to bucket with nipples. I see them all drinking from the bucket, but as soon as I let them out in the morning they all run down to the dog bowl. I'm thinking about putting something tasty in the bucket, maybe a little sweet that will draw them to the bucket more. I'm not sure what to use, maybe tang?

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens hate change. So you need to force them. Do this by removing all other water sources. Don't worry, they won't die of thirst.

The nipples are red for a reason. Chickens are deeply, incurably curious about anything red. They will soon start pecking at the nipples, and they'll discover within 30 minutes there's water behind them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by