Waterer warmer question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kakayona, Sep 12, 2010.

1. kakayona

kakayona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Stratford
    I am getting ready for the winter and am looking for advice on what type of water heater/warmer to get. i will buy a new waterer to accommodate. What brands/types do YOU PEOPLE recommend??

2. animalover

animalover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    Try doing a search on waterers - you will find lots of information.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    What brands/types do YOU PEOPLE recommend??

Homemade costs less and works best

Do a search for "Cookie Tin Heater"​

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just bought myself a few of those fortex black rubber bowls from my feed store so that I can get the ice out and refill with hot water a few times a day. My husband forbade me to have electric plugs down in the snow and rain (but ok in the coops for light bulbs). I have too many coops for heated waterers.

Maybe someone else can chime in. Oh, do a search on here for heated waterers or winter waterers. There have been several threads on this.

5. kakayona

kakayona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Stratford
    Quote:How do I find these threads? I'm just looking for peoples personal experiences.

6. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    There is a search function up at the top, you will see alot of personal thoughts on them.

I have to agree that the cookie tin worked the best for me, I also have heated dog water bowls & that is what I use.

7. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Yesterday, 2 of my friends stopped by with birthday presents for me (tomorrow is my bday). They bought me a Harris Farms 2 gal Galvanized Double Wall Fount good for 100 chicks (I have 4..lol). They also bought me a HP-125 Heated Base. They knew I have been worried about winter time being my first year with chickens.

I have the greatest friends!

8. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    bump

9. gallinamama

gallinamama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Macomb, Michigan
    Quote:I am in kind of the same situation... My husband does not want to run electricity to the coop... I have thought about solar energy.. I have not had the time to research it... I saw that Home Depot has one for around 80 dollars.. but I don't know how well it works. I need to get some light out there and maybe some heat... it gets cold here iin Michigan...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by