1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
  2. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:I've used one of those for my birds. Worked just as good as any of the fancy "poultry waterers" that you can get at the feed store.

3. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    [​IMG] Well don't I feel dumb! I have two of those on a shelf and never thought to use them for chickens [​IMG] I will now! [​IMG]

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I think that's fine as long as it's large enough for the number of chickens you have. You wouldn't want them draining it too fast and getting thirsty!

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    The one thing I can say is it will be filled with dirt and mud pretty quickly. I know I've been using a "floor" model and now I want to switch to suspended so there's less dirt. Otherwise, it is just the same as any other poultry waterer.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If you put it on bricks, a cinder block, anything to raise it off the floor the water will stay cleaner.

Another chicken tender tip: Instead of a pricey feeder, take a look at bird feeders lying around!

7. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Good point, I would make sure to raise it up on some cinder blocks or something to keep it from getting dirtied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by