Waterers & feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ashdmay, Mar 7, 2016.

1. ashdmay

ashdmay New Egg

Feb 24, 2016
    Iv seen a few threads on here about watering and feeding and what seems to work best for some however the few threads i saw were a little old so I was wanting to know if you could show me or tell me about what feeder or waterer you have and what works best for you?! Thanks. Pics would be great if ya got them!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I use either plastic or rubber buckets and pans for both feed and water. Simple, and easy to clean. I put out fresh food daily, adjusting the amount as necessary.

3. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I forgot take pics before it got dark in the coop but I just built a new feeder and waterer today. For the feeder I just used a heavy duty 5 gallon bucket and put two 3 inch 90 degree elbows in them, like the ones in the big thread that is in this forum.

For the waterer I used a 5 gallon plastic 5 gallon water jug and drilled two holes in it and used 2 of the horizontal cup type waterers from TSC. I already had extra water jugs and the two cups cost about $5.00 at TSC. I've got about $10 in the bucket and elbows. I used the cheap feeder I was using for grit. They were wasting a lot of feed from that feeder.

Ill post pics tomorrow.

4. coconut120000

coconut120000 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2013
    I use a metal water container (Normally the ones at feed stores) but I have been looking into a produced called Hen Hydrator. Its supposed to keep algee away and it hangs upside down. For food their are alot of designs online that use PVC and are really effective.

5. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm anxious to see your pictures. Also I had a question: You mentioned cup waterers.... I'm not sure I know what those are. [​IMG]

6. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    This is one design of cup waterers:
    [​IMG]

Water is released when the yellow tab is pushed. I've been wanting to upgrade to these since they seem like a good compromise between open container watering and nipple waterers.

7. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DreamsInPink [​IMG]

I'm anxious to see your pictures. Also I had a question: You mentioned cup waterers.... I'm not sure I know what those are. [​IMG]

Sorry I forgot to post the pics. Not the best as I snapped them real quick with my cell phone. So far both seem to be working, I have seen the chicks using both. After several days I haven't had any litter in the cups on the waterer which I heard some people complain about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. YaYa27889

YaYa27889 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Eastern NC
    I am working on my hen house. My chicks don't arrive for another two weeks. I found an automatic waterer at a farm Auction for $5.00. Cleaned it and it works great. I know I will have to get some sort of heating unit before cold weather though.

9. DreamsInPink

Thank you both for the pictures! I LIKE those! I could use them in a 5 gallon bucket as well, right? I wonder if they'd ever try to stand on them?

@flyin-lowe
    @Soylent Chick

10. DreamsInPink

The only thing I don't like about the cups is they are plastic, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by