waterers/feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by warmwater, Oct 15, 2009.

1. warmwater

warmwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    How many hens/roos to a waterer and feeder? 8 birds one of each....12 birds, two of each? What is a good ratio so no one gets left out? Thanks

2. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I would suggest observing your birds while they are eating out of one feeder to see if anyone is being crowded out. I only have 4 birds, but I put out an extra feeder when the shy girl started to get crowded out. Good luck! Enjoy your chickens. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sounds reasonable to me. I was also going to add that it really depends on how large your feeders and waterers are...

4. warmwater

warmwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    The waterers are two gallon...I was going to put one in each coop for the winter because I only have 2 heater bases, then in the summer hang two waterers in the big coop 10x10 (14 hens).

In the smaller 8x8 coop, I am putting my 4 EE roos to live (couldn't get rid of them to be killed), they are all tame, get along and sit on my lap-shoulder-head (if I would let them [​IMG] They are 15 weeks old so I hope this doesn't change.

I will put 2 hanging feeders in with the girls and watch them...if I need to I will add another one.

The girls free range and I rotate the roosters so the girls don't forget them.

Thanks, for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by