Waterers for the serama cage?

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
Hello everyone!

I have three adorable seramas that I'm currently keeping in my garage until I can integrate them into my coop. They're in a nice, large cage, at least 4' x 3' x 1' and seem to enjoy themselves quite a bit in there and live comfortably. They get to go out a few times a week to eat grass and enjoy the sun in a large dog kennel, too, so they're living the good life.
wink.png
The one problem I've been having is that they always seem to knock their water over or bury it with shavings when they're in their cage.
hmm.png
I'm using just a normal bowl at the moment, but I strongly suspect they would do the same with a poultry waterer if I used one of those.

Does anyone have ideas to keep them from dumping their water in the shavings all the time? I don't think I can keep them from kicking up the shavings, as that's just chickens for you, but I would like it if someone had a plan to keep the bowl upright at least!

Any ideas appreciated.
smile.png

You probably can't keep them from knocking over their bowl, unless you get a heavy ceramic,or metal dog bowl.They just like to perch on the edge. Just find something they can't knock over by process of elimination. Maybe a quart waterer from your local feedstore for a few bucks?
idunno.gif

Yes, a rabbit type waterer would work great. Just make sure they know how to use it first, use your fingers to show them how to peck at it to get the water. They catch on really quick.
smile.png

Quote:
Oh, that's good to know! My parrotlets drink from a rabbit waterer so I'm not sure why I doubted the ability of the chickens to do so. I'll have to try that out and see how it goes! That would certainly be simpler than having to clean the chicken bowl all the time!
smile.png

Take an empty bleach bottle, & cut holes in it about 3 inches off the bottom. The bird needs to be able to get it's head in the hole. Or cut a soda bottle in the same manor, & you can hang it by a string just off the floor. That helps with the spilling,& shaving problem.

i use a pop bottle water, it has a spring that holds it to the cage and you can get it high enough they can't fill it with yuk, and it hangs on the outside of the cage, no tipping

Back
Top Bottom