Waterers?

Standard Hen

Songster
12 Years
May 17, 2007
Massachusetts
I thought I would ask this question on here. I have one of those 3 gallon hard plastic waterers with the red bottoms and the black screw on handle on top? Now I do not use these in the winter as hard plastic does not do well in the cold weather. I noticed the other day that it is leaking all over the place and I have not had the time to inspect it to see where a crack has happened. As you all know these waterers are expensive and now I am wondering if they are worth it as this one is not all that old. Any comments on these types of waterers?

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this post with ya. I just bought one too. I couldn't decide what one to get. I bought a 3.5 gallon plastic with red bottom. It was expensive.
Was wondering the same thing?

Ann

Last edited:
I use the galvanized waterers. I only have a small 1 gallon plastic one for if I ever need to use apple cider vinegar in the water. The last galvanized one I purchased was another of the 5 gallon size and I paid $29 for it at a local feed and seed. The 3 gallon plastic one I believe was priced at $35.99. Due to pricing it doesn't really make sense in my area to buy the plastic ones.

I have the plastic one like you describe and I can't stand the thing! Mine is a five gallon. I don't know if mine is defective or what, but the top is so hard to screw on right. It always wants to go on crooked and if I don't get it on right the water just pours out the bottom. I almost threw the thing across the yard the other day I was so mad at it! I'm taking a trip to the feed store later this week to look at the galvanized ones.

I was lusting after a nice galvanized one at the food store Saturday. My wife said "We already have a waterer and if you want that one, YOU're paying for it." That was one of the times she was a BW.
frow.gif

I have a galvanized one b/c of the cold weather as well. On really hot days I use their little one quart chick waterer and fill it with a tray of ice, a little water and a splash of apple cider vinegar and put it in the yard when they free range -- they love it
yippiechickie.gif
It is so cute to see them all lined up to drink it dry (I usually have to fill it twice on a really hot day). Even when I put ice in the big one they won't go back into their run to drink...

FYI, I read about a cheap one I'm planning on making--take a #10 food grade metal can (I think its like a gallon) punch a few holes along the rim of the open side, fill it with water, put a pie tin or plate over the opening and turn it upside down.

I have both kinds and I like the plastic one better as it doesn't mold up like the metal ones do. I scrub them every week but the metal ones just get nasty. I guess its the heat and humidity here in florida. Then they like to sit on top of my metal ones. But won't sit on top of the plastic one.

Had one of those, gave up on it. Couldn't get it to seal consistently, so it'd overflow until it was empty.

Probably why I found it at the dump in the first place. That is where I returned it to.

In my experiences, the galvanized waterers and feeders work better, but rust up nicely, perforating in a few years. The plastic ones look nicer when new, but crack quite readily. The pastic waterers invariably seem to leak or have their bottoms pop off.

A *big* difference between the plastic and metal waterers is you can carry the metal ones like a bucket, and then slip the cover down over it. The plastic ones you have to carry upside down, and then try to flip over. Very messy, especially with the bigger ones.

I have three chicks who are 7 weeks old and they are still using their chick waterer, but soon they'll need a larger one. I bought a 3 gallon metal waterer (because we'll need to warm up our waterer in the winter).....how often would I need to change the water? Would a 3 gallon waterer with three chickens last a week?

I'm not really very happy with either style waterer. I started out with a 5 gallon plastic waterer with the black handle on top. It leaked all over the place and could never hold a seal, even after getting a new O-ring. I eventually took it back and replaced it with a 5 gallon galvinized one, it also leaks. So I got another metal one, and it leaks too! I can't have water inside the coop because it gets the wood chips wet and thats hard to clean and dry before they mold and smell. I am very frustrated and unhappy with both styles, maybe I just keep getting a bad batch?

Back
Top Bottom