waterers

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Austin T, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Austin T

Austin T Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    wisconsin
    Are waterers really necessary, I have a kitty pool that I could easily just fill up with water for them. I'm talking for the grown chukars in the pen, not the chicks.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    They would probably jump in it and drownd.They do need water though like everything living does.I use the rubber bowls available at tractor supply.If they freeze you just turn them over and stomp on it and it all falls out.They cost under 5.00 ea.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Austin T

Austin T Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    wisconsin
    So it's ok to use something other than a waterer as long as they can't drown? There is no other reason you have to use waterers?

4. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What exactly do you mean by waterers?Those drip nipple bottles like they use for hampsters?I would think you would have to train your birds to use them unless they see the shinny bearing and pick at it.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. Austin T

Austin T Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    This is what I had in mind

6. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    They work perfectly fine but freeze if not heated. And algae tends to grow rapidly if you don't clean them often to keep them clean.

7. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yeah those are fine,but I would hang them off the ground so they don't kick dirt into them.I still prefer the rubber bowls,they don't freeze.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by