Waterers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CindyJeann, Apr 22, 2011.

1. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    We used a gerbal type water bottle for our chicks and they did just fine. Can ducklings handle this kind of waterer?

[​IMG]

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

They will get the hang of drinking out of it but ducks need water deep enough to clean their noses out, so it has to be deep enoght to get the head all the way in. If you dont do it deep enough you will end up with sick ducks with blocked sinuses and then the health issues start.

3. CindyJeann

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    Then, how do you convince them not to poop in the water dish?

[​IMG]

4. CindyJeann

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    They seem to be doing well with the bottle waterer. Two good baths a day are enough?

[​IMG]

5. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    Quote:yeah! how do you keep them from pooping in their water and food dishes???

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Put the waterers up so they can still get their heads in, but not their bodies to climb in. Using the chick waterer, I never really had them pooping in the water dish. It was always full of food, but not poop.
    I have a large rubbermaid type shallow bin outside for their water. They can get in it, and do, but only when their pool is disgusting and then it is usually just Cadbury that hops in for a quick bath.
    I have their food in a square storage bin, also on the shallow side. They can also get in there and sometimes do, but typically they just stand on the outside and eat like good little ducklets.

Ducks just poop. So if you don't want poop in something, you'll have to figure out how to get it out of pooping range. Get it up and block off access to their back ends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by