1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Waterfowl Decoys

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Decoyman, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Decoyman

Decoyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I have been collecting waterfowl and shorebird decoys for decades, but this is the first time I have carved and painted one.

It is a Wood Duck Drake in a sleeper or resting pose. It was carved from a basswood blank and painted with oil-based paints. I used a good deal of "artistic license" in the details, but for a decorative decoy, it is fine for me. I was lucky to have a great piece of driftwood to act as a base if it ends up on display somewhere in our home.

As you can see, even without a keel or bottom weight, it still floats in a good position.

I hope you enjoy these pics taken of it this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    Wow...it looks real

3. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Great job looks awesome I have been carving decorative for about four years now when I get time, nice to see someone else on here who carves.

4. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Are you carving by hand or with a power carver, I use a Foredom which I really like. I haven't started anything new the last bird I carved was a North American Ruddy Duck.

[​IMG]

5. ES Emus

ES Emus Chillin' With My Peeps

nice looking birds! I used to carve ducks, then I carved fish. I wish I had the time to get back into it. I have been collecting antique decoys for almost 30 years.

6. Decoyman

Decoyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I really like the Ruddy Duck Decoy - I carve mine by hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by