Waterfowl Housing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZooZoo, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ZooZoo

ZooZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    [​IMG]I would love to see pics of the area/pen/coop that they house their waterfowl in!
    thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just use dog houses for mine and even in the worst weather they rarely use them.

3. ZooZoo

ZooZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Are yours free ranging? or are they in a pen?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They're call ducks and I keep them penned.

5. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    Mine are pekins and they free range in the daytime and go in the chicken coop w/ the chickens at night time. My coop is an idividual horse stall in the barn. The birds just all go in at dusk and I shut the walk thru door. The ducks pool is outside by the water hydrant for the cows. When they hear the water come on the run over and jump in the pool. It is great!

6. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    Mine right now are housed with the chickens. They have a kiddie pool in the chicken run. They will be moved as soon as the snow thaws. I was going to move them before the snow and I missed it and couldn't get the door on the pen [​IMG]

Once it thaws they will be living in a converted calf shed with a door. Its about 4x8 aluminum. I covered the ground with straw and put in a nest box with 2x2 compartments. Their run will be covered and 15x20. I fenced around the irrigation ditch so they will have water all spring, summer and fall. The only bad thing I think will be cleaning any debris from in front of the fence daily, like leaves so it doesn't clog. For winter time my ducks get a five gallon bucket of water with holes cut in for their heads. They need something deep to clean their nostrils out with and a regular chicken waterer doesn't always work out for them very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by