waterfowl on wire?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by warcard, May 8, 2008.

1. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Ok, everyone just think of my cygnets as really big goslings/ducklings.

Can I brood them on wire? Our current brooder has a half-inch by half-inch hardwire cloth floor. Do I need to find something else? I really like that so far they can't get too messy since everything falls through the floor, but I don't want them to get hurt.

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You can brood them on wire, but wire is hard on their feet. They gain weight so fast and get heavy.
    Wire is used successfully, but bumblefoot can result from cut or abraded feet from wire roughness.

3. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Thanks Terrielacy, I will keep an eye on their feet. We are taking them out daily for a swim in the tub, even though they try and swim in their waterdish [​IMG]

I figure they will outgrow the brooder quickly so for our next step we won't include wire floors.

When do you think I can start letting them out to walk on the grass? (first book I got wasn't that helpful for raising babies, still waiting on the second book)

4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    They can go out and spend time on the grass anytime if it is warm out.
    The sooner the better as far as poop is concerned. When I have babies I will make sure they have a good meal, wait about half an hour and take them out for at least an hour so they can poop outside some. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by