waterfowl surprise, need help, please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by what was i thinking, Dec 15, 2008.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i received my swap eggs today. i was so eggcited that i didn't read the outside of the box. when i opened it, i found a dozen eggs in wonderful condition. i believe they are duck eggs. when i went back to clean up the box and packing i noticed the box said "waterfowl surprise".

now what do i do? how long does it take to hatch ? is the humidity the same? i have read conflicting oppinions on putting them in with chicken eggs. well i have two bators going with chickens. i saved enough room for my swap eggs because i knew they were coming. but i didn't know what i was getting. i set the chickens on saturday. so i will set these tomorrow, three days apart.

any help would be great. thanks everyone.

2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    any one? hope to have some help by morning when i have to set them. thanks

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, there is a difference between duck and chicken eggs. From what I read and was told, the humidity needs to be higher 50-65% and the temp not so high... around 100 degrees. I have both incubating and I asked the same question earlier and this is what I was told. Good Luck!!

4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I incubate duck and chicken eggs together at the same temp and humidity with no problems. Your starting 3 days apart will become 10 days apart at hatch time. Duck eggs take 28 days unless they are Muscovys. They take 35 days.
    db

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The temp is the same for just about any type of fowl. The difference with waterfowl is they need it to be lowered the last 3 days, to 98 instead of 99.5. Most duck eggs take 28 days to hatch, so you'll stop turning them on end of day 25. I have heard to turn them big end over, instead of just rolling them. I assume this means to make sure the big end is down, and turn them to the other side if hand turning. Some people use an automatic turner, some hand turn, it's really a preference. They should at least have higher humidity during the hatch. I have read they need higher humidity for incubation, but I have read here that a lot of people have them right with chicken eggs and they do fine.

I have my first duck eggs in the incubator right now. I mist mine daily, keep the humidity @ 65-70%, turn them by hand 3+ times a day. They keep temp between 99-101, depending on what mood the bator is in. They are still alive and kicking, so I must be doing something right!

Good luck with your eggs! These must have been from Florida? [​IMG]

6. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Oh.. great. I will put my duck eggs with the chicken eggs to save some space. I do too much reading sometimes [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I think I answered your post earlier [​IMG] Just make sure you use the other bator to hatch them!

8. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Duck eggs are supposed to be big end down??

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No no no! That's if you hand turn, at least that's the way I understood it! Sorry to confuse you! [​IMG]

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Oh... I am hand turning X on one side O on the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by