1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Waterfowl vs. Winter!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Luminide, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Luminide

Luminide Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    [​IMG]

Background story!
    Last night, Flan and Mallow somehow evaded getting in the the barn before dark- on the one night I didn't count my ducks. Well, last night was also our first snow. They spent the night on our pond with a flock of mallards instead. This morning I realize with massive motherly alarm that they weren't with everyone else and ran down to the water to find...this. A layer of ice had formed on the shore and they weren't certain how it worked- they're only 5 months old after all! Their skidding and excitement to get back with the flock was too cute not to post.

The pekins took a pretty terrible spill on the ice too, but I didn't get that on camera.

(I did indeed check everyone for injuries once they got out.)

Obviously ducks aren't made for winter. I see some more videos in my future.
    Have your own pictures, videos, or stories about your ducks being goofy in the snow? I'd love for you to share them!

2. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That's hilarious. Ducks can handle the cold and snow but clearly not so good on ice.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah ice really isn't anybodies friends! glad they made it through okay! i do headcounts with my main foraging flock.

4. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Too cute! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]
    I got up this morning and one of mine, who was born this spring and has therefore never seen ice until now, was standing in the pool, skidding around on top of the ice, trying to figure out what the heck was going on and why he couldn't get anything to drink, lol. I didn't get a video of it though. :\

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by