Waterfowl

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by Muscovies, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to see pictures of your swans, ducks and geese.

Thanks

2. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    My Barnacles
    [​IMG]
    mute swan
    [​IMG]
    wild ducks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    got a good thread going for info on them too in the duck section. It's under the sticky section titled
    miratory/ ornamental waterfowl thread

if you are interested in learning more about them

4. Muscovies

Those are some pretty pictures of your geese and wild ducks [​IMG]

5. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Thread needs more cowbell... I mean Hottentots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Muscovies

Those are some nice teal's [​IMG]

7. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Hottentot Teal: your aviary looks wonderful! The birds are slick and the enclosure is clean and not crowded. Keep up the good work.
    DT

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
  8. obsessedwithbirds

obsessedwithbirds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    East Lansing
    Yes, hottentotteal's birds are very nice.

If you've ever raised more than 1 pair of waterfowl (you should try it sometime! It can be a rewarding experience!) together, you'd understand that 1 bird can dirty a good-sized pond in no-time.

I've never seen a bird that didn't deffecate (although maybe you've bred one.... what did you get your PhD in, again?). It is unreasonable to think that your water will remain crytal clear at all times.

Also, at least J3172's birds have more than a bird-bath's amount of water in which to swim. Perhaps he has several ponds in the enclosure or maybe the pond pictured is huge. We don't know. And THAT is why we don't make assumptions.

9. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Keeping waterfowl is a privilege, not a right. It's up to us to police ourselves in order to prevent the animal rights folks as well as local, state and national authorities for further restricting our hobby. To an uninformed guest on this forum, wild waterfowl standing in their own filth just gives fodder to those who would prefer birds not be kept by individuals at all.

Bottom line: Birds kept in dry, clean, uncrowded environments live longer, healthier and more prolific lives.

10. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks obsessedwithbirds, bottom line is I condense all my pens in winter to help keep water open. My ponds are too big for heaters to keep open by themselves. Second in the fall guess what grass dies, now what happens when grass dies and it rains?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by