Watering baby Chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by osukrazykate, Apr 13, 2009.

1. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend came over for Easter dinner and afterwards we looked at our brand new baby chicks. She asked me if I am putting medication in the water. I said no and asked what kind of medication she didn't know what it was called, but she put something in her chicks water for the first two weeks. She said that it is to help them grow and survive. Can anybody tell me what she is talking about and do I need to do this? I have been feeding them the starter feed, which is medicated. I am a little reluctant on any medicated food or water, bcs I was wanting to raise them organically, but the feed store only had medicated feed. Can I get some recommendations on what my options are and what I should probably be doing? Thanks!

Kate

2. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    It could be Gorgel that is used for the first few days that you have your baby chicks.

If you want to, you can put sugar or Gatorade in their water, for more energy and nutrition.

However, when I got my first brood of 12 chicks last year, I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't read anything about any of this Grogel stuff, so I didn't use it. My chicks were happy and healthy, and we didn't lose any fuzzutts.

SO, I wouldn't bother unless they are tired, sick, or generally unhappy.

Good luck, and enjoy your fuzzybutts! [​IMG]

~wings

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    If you are feeding medicated starter then you don't need the antibiotics in the water.

I used medicated starter/grower until whenever the bag says to start them on layer. 18 Weeks I think. After that mine eat layer crumble, cracked corn and whatever else they find in the yard

4. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    She probably means the vitamin/electrolyte powder you can add to water. It is usually given their first couple days after they were mailed to help boost them or given to other poultry after a stressful event like a move.

I did not use it with mine. I also don't use the medicated feed. My chicks are growing like crazy. Yours will be fine.

I don't think I'd give them any special water now.

Blessings! [​IMG]

5. osukrazykate

Quote:Thank you! Yeah, I thought I had researched and was prepared, but then when she mentioned I needed something in my water I was a little concerned. All of the chicks seem very happy to me, running about and having a blast from what I can tell. All of them are drinking, eating, pooping, running around, kicking the litter up and everything, hehehehe.

Kate

6. osukrazykate

Quote:She said they should have it for the first two weeks and it was about a teaspoon of whatever it is in the water every time she changes the water.

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I use some Polyvisol in my chick waterer to give them a good start. No meds since they are either in your chick starter or non-medicated if you want organically raised chickens. [​IMG] I would eliminate the vitamins if I were going all organic, too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  8. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    A lot of people treat chicks with Teramycin (an antibiotic) in drinking water for the first few weeks. My local Murdochs farm store does this, which drives me crazy! They say they give it as a "preventative measure". [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] IMO chicks do not need MEDICINE or antibiotics unless they are really ill with a treatable infection or have a serious injury, just like people. But on the other hand some people do add powdered electrolyte solution to chick water for added vitamins and minerals etc, which I have found helpful but not absolutely needed. You can find it at your local farm/feed store for about $2 or so. Good luck to you and your baby chicks.

9. Quote:Yes, I agree, no antibiotics, they need the gut flora to thrive.

You can put in a very diluted vitamin/electrolyte and this does help them for the first week.

Usually, though, if they make it the first week and are eating and drinking well, they will be fine.

They get to be real chickens at about 2 weeks and you should put in a low perch for them.

At five weeks i put mine in the nursery until they are big enough fot the roos in the barn withoug getting hurt by them.

That day is usually a bit tramatic for the pullets and the roos are run down fairly hard.

10. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    If what you are doing, right now, is working - KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
    [​IMG]

No need to second guess, no need to do anything new. Sounds like you are FINE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by