Watering buckets with nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mazey1967, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mazey1967

mazey1967 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    My husband just built my chickens some watering buckets with "chicken nipples" in the bottom. I hung them near their water bowls. Will they know how to use them, or do I need to do something to teach them?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quite often, they figure 'em out on their own, because chickens are curious creatures.

However, if you tap on the metal valves to make water drip, that will get their attention. That's if you have friendly chickens which gather around you.... Eventually one will get it, and pretty soon others will learn,too.

I never showed my ducks or geese; they just watched the chickens use 'em. And waterfowl really don't like to use those sorts of waterers, will use 'em if they happen to be near 'em when they get thirsty. (Ducks and geese need to immerse thir bills into water to clear their nares, which are their nostrils.)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. Picotine

Picotine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    i was looking for a different way to water my young flock and i've asked someone at the farmer's supply store if a bunny water bottle would work and i was told "no" but today i decided to give it a try anyway. it didn't take long for a few of them to start pecking at it and figured that water would drip every time they play with it. i love their curiosity and watching them figure out new things [​IMG] i'm sure yours will figure out how to use the nipples quickly.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I have been told that they cannot get sufficient water with those types of waterers.
    If there is no other type of waterer, they should figure out the nipple waterer but you can always drip water or something on it to entice them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by