Watering cups with or without brackets???????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Slongest, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Im looking into getting the watering cups that attach to pvc and my question is will they work and last long enough to get my moneys worth out of them just attaching them to pvc without the extra pvc bracket that attaches to 1/2" pvc because i already have alot of 3/4" leftover from improvements here on the farm? Im handy and can really get a good seal on them just wondering if they are poorly made?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you are talking about these
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=TGoaUffSJqKyyAHjpoDIDg&ved=0CEsQ9QEwBQ&dur=1
    You'll definitely get your use out of them. I love them much more than nipple waterers.
    I've had them a couple years and they even survive winter freezing. I use clear plastic tubing rather than pvc which doesn't handle being frozen.
    What's great is you can twist them off whenever they need cleaning without any water leak.

3. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    YES! Great thats what ive been hearing everyone loves them.. so you have them screwed straight into the tubing?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    actually I have the brackets and screw those into the wall. All mine are inside the coops.

5. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Sorry i meant the cups I too plan to have the whole water system in the coop but how do you have the cups attached to the tube or water line? you dont have a plastic attachment that punctures a whole in the tube then the cup screws into that plastic piece?

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Give me a minute and I'll see if I have pics I can post.
    Here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. Slongest

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Thank you that helps alot i really want to go this route just dont wanna pour that amount of money and time into something that isnt going to benifit in the end.. im thinking ill need around twenty cups

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    So far I'm only using them in my breeder coops that have no more than 5 birds per unit so each unit has one cup fed by a 55 gallon food grade plastic drum that had pickles in it and a network of the tubing. I have a couple more drums so I plan on using them to water all the other buildings.
    I fill the drum, add de-chlorinator, organic ACV and a probiotic powder and clean the drum out every 6 months.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ChickenCanoe.....Where did you get that yellow bracket?

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by