Watering/drinking help request for special needs chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by saul1432, Mar 23, 2013.

1. saul1432

saul1432 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    We have a chick that is about 18 hours old...'he' was a surprise at 23 days, and I went against all my previous will power to not assist with hatching. He has one leg that is slightly gimpy but, seems to be slowly adapting. The most concerning problem is his neck...it's mostly stuck in a downward position. He's made some progress since last night, but it's still a significant issue. We've given him some sugar-water with a water dropper, and he is eating crumbles (yay!), but he cannot lift his head enough to get water on his own. I cut most of the top of a plastic cup, and added glass 'rocks' and water. We're watching closely to make sure that if he does get his head up and over the edge he doesn't get stuck there and drown. I will also continue to give him water via the dropper. However, my son brought up a good point, that is if he can't lift his head to swallow the water, then what(?)! Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you do? Is there a special waterer that might help?
    Thank you in advance for your response(s).

2. saul1432

saul1432 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    I just realized this is the 'new member forum', and will redirect this question to the more appropriate forum.

3. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I have actually been discussing close to the same issue with multiple others this last week. Sounds like your doing everything you should be. I have had late hatches like this and sometimes they live and sometimes they don't. Just continue with the sugar water and the stretches and excersie and let time show what will happen. Any more questions feel free to ask us!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, saul123, and [​IMG]! Good to have you here! Hope you find the information you need for your chick!

5. saul1432

saul1432 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Thank you. People have kindly already begun to respond. What a great site!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

Many times chicks like this do recover. Sometimes the neck gets a bit funky when it was in the wrong position in the egg. The feet can have issues as well. But over the next few weeks, they can gain enough strength to outgrow these problems. Keep up the good work and the love. Enjoy the forums!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    this may be wry neck - you can give him a couple drops of Polyvisol infant drops (no iron) twice a day - also do a search for wry neck - there should be tons of info on this, it does occur often even in older chicks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. saul1432

saul1432 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Thank you one and all. What a great community. I didn't know what it might be called, other than "crooked neck", when doing an internet search..."wry neck", now I know! Right now we're waiting it out, and I have to say he seems to be improving little by little. I posted photos on the emergency forum. I hope I will eventually post a photo of a totally healthy chick! Again, thank you.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you could also try gently messaging his neck a few times a day - trying to encourage it to the right carriage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by