Watering for new hatchling's

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by little brown hen, Oct 24, 2009.

1. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    What if any can I put in the water for new baby chick's? With all the sickness going around I am afraid of them getting something any suggestions? Thank's for any help.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are giving fresh water they should be fine. Some folks give Poly-V-sol (no added iron) as a vitamin, I used about a quarter dosage of poultry vitamins for the first week. Big thing is not to bring anything contaminated into their space...

3. little brown hen

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    Thank you LynneP I am just so scaried something will happen I have these little ones in the house. I have had some get sick and am nursing them.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

They are a worry especially the first time. Vitamins can be very good during and after an illness- just be sure they do not have added iron.

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I don't add anything to the water of newly hatched chicks. I do make sure the water is lukewarm for the first 3 to 4 weeks as cold water can chill them very easily.

Marty

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I alternate ACV and Oxine in their water. I also mist them with Oxine about once a week. It just kills a lot of viruses that they can get.

7. little brown hen

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    Thank's everyone they seem to be doing well with just the Vitamins. I will keep a close eye on these little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by