watering ideas??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Billy-jean, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Ok,so I have built my 2 embdens their own enclosure away from the ducks and hens, and I have their shelter in as well,,,it's a nice large area and has a beautiful willow tree for shade..my husband wasn't happy about losing more yard,but there was no choice,I had to separate them from the other's since I had them with call ducks and my hens..they were starting to grab them by the wing :((

anyways,I need water ideas for the winter. I don'y have water outside in the freezing weather since the pipes freeze,,so in the hens house and for the calls,I have heated buckets,,but there isn't electricity ruinning to the other corner of our property were the geese will be. Is there a trick to this? I guess I will be breaking frozen buckets every morning and hauling down water? Is there any other ideas? ps I will post pics of their new enclosure soon :)) you can tell me what you think!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You didn't say your geese were grabbing your call ducks in your other thread. are they actually hurting them? I have seen my ducks grab a chickens tail feathers before and my gander will act like he's going to go after someone but its a bluff just to get them to move, I did the hauling water and breaking ice for many years till i finally bit the bullet and bought heated water buckets, to me it's the only way to go.

3. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    yes,I one f my geese grab the call duck and walked around with him like that :(( poor little thing,,
    Heated buckets are a great invention,,I might just run a wire down......thanks :)
    I saw your other reply,,,do you have pics of your set up? might make me decide on what to do! lol! I'm so torn,,,,Perhaps they are just bluffing,,,???....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My flock is inside a large enclosed yard with fencing and gates so I can separate if need be, like during hatching and ducklings time, it would be hard to get it on camera since it's so spread out,
    But if your goose actually had a duck in it's bill walking around like that then it is diff time for separation, Doesn't sound like it was a bluff. My 2 boys use to fight my gander and my Muscovy drake but they finally got things worked out and tolerate each others presence. I have electricity to both my main coops but I still have to run an out door extension cord to where my buckets are set up at. I haven't ever had a problem. I hope you can sort it out, with having so small a duck with your geese that is different than my flock since my ducks are large. . where the 2 plugs meet i used Gorilla tape to keep from water getting in and the stuff is so strong I couldn't get them apart for storage. LOL

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  5. grannyh

grannyh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    San Lorenzo, NM
    I've not heard of the outdoor heated buckets. Could someone post pics? I used to have a heated stand for the chicken waterer, but it needed to be inside. Here at our new place, there isn't enough room inside for it. That waterer isn't large enough for the geese anyway. Any ideas will be appreciated!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  7. grannyh

grannyh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    San Lorenzo, NM
    Thank you! I missed this site earlier. :-(

8. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    I'm sorry taht I can't offer any suggestions, since freezing water isn't something that I've dealt with. But I'm def looking forward to the pictures that you'll be sharing!

9. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I have a large square pool (80 by 80 inches and about 20 inches deep. I dug it in so the water is at ground level. All winter a pump circulates the water. It was only frozen over for about two weeks last winter, and for those two weeks I used an outdoor heated stand and put it under a pan of water. I did have to change the water several times a day as it would develop a crust of ice within a few hours. To make it last longer I used warm water - my goose really enjoyed a warm bath! The warm water also helps preventing frostbite as the blood circulation to the feet opens up.

Without electricity it's very limited what you can do. Solar powered heaters only work if the sun is shining, unless they're hooked up to a battery. It will most likely be easier and cheaper to run a wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by