1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Watering in hot heat !!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sbas5561, Aug 6, 2013.

1. sbas5561

sbas5561 In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    I'm new to chickens & I was wondering what would be good to add to my chickens water to keep them hydrated?? It's so hot where I live (southeastern Oklahoma) during the summer. Don't want them to get dehydrated!! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Electrolytes, like Save-A-Chick, are a very good thing to add to the water in heat stress situations.

3. sbas5561

sbas5561 In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Can I purchase it locally or will I have to order it ??

4. LoneOak

LoneOak Chirping

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Any good feed store should have electrolytes, it is a powder that comes in a sealed pouch and you mix it with their water. It is also available at Tractor Supply. Most people just give it to young chicks but I guess its okay for older birds, read the label well.

I do believe that a good source of water is really all they need, do a search on this forum for-search box is near the top of every page-for nipple water system or water nipples and look at the systems other people have. My favorite is the Horizontal nipple water system, I just installed one a couple weeks ago. Some people use a cooler for their reservoir and add blocks of ice to it in hot weather, I don't have that problem where I live.

5. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Songster

Jun 3, 2013
    ^ what lone oak said
    My fave by far is the horizontal nipples. I use a cooler for the reservoir and fill it with ice water.

6. sbas5561

sbas5561 In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Did you make yours or purchase it some where ??

7. LoneOak

LoneOak Chirping

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Quote: I built all mine myself just like I try to do with everything. I search wide and long for the least expensive parts and put all my stuff together myself.

8. sbas5561

sbas5561 In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Co
    Could you post a pic I haven't seen any with a cooler ??

9. LoneOak

LoneOak Chirping

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    I didn't use a cooler on mine because I don't need it where I'm located but I pretty sure that CrazyCrable used one. I have a 55 gal drum that catches rainwater from the roof of the coop.

10. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Songster

Jun 3, 2013
    Here is mine in our temporary coop. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought the nipples from Rich 386 and built it myself. Not hard at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by