Watering my birds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Matt-B, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Matt-B

Matt-B In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Hello all,

I'm new to chicken farming and still trying to figure out this watering thing.

Do chickens need anything special? I've been using a 3 gallon bucket and filling it to within a few inches of the top. They seem to look over the edge and get a drink when they need it. They have access to it in their coop 24/7 and I replace/refill the water ever day or so. They are free ranging without a fence from sun up to sun down if that makes a difference. They also have access to a 0"- 6" (shallow) creek, but they haven't ventured down the ravine to it yet.

By the way, we got our first egg yesterday. It was small, but green!

2. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Water is extremely important to laying hens. The problem with using a plain bucket is that the water level will dip down below where a chicken can reach it easily. And a bucket can be easily knocked over, leaving your chickens without water. Why not spend a couple of dollars and get a waterer designed for chickens?

http://www.randallburkey.com/Gallon-Waterer-W_-Twist-On-Base/productinfo/4476/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  3. lleighmay

lleighmay Songster

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The other problem with a bucket is that one could fall in and drown. Even if it's a large chicken if it gets in there face-first it probably won't be able to turn around and save itself. I second the advice to buy a chicken waterer (the large plastic ones aren't that expensive).

4. Matt-B

Matt-B In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Is it possible to make a waterer out of a five gallon bucket with a lid? With some sort of automatic nipple on the bottom?

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Especially in severe heat, chickens will sometimes find a shady spot and bunk down for several hours, and will neglect walking a ways to find the water spot. So if you're free ranging, I'd have a few waterers available for them in areas you know they make pit stops. And I would go more shallow than a bucket. I have 2 regular chicken waterers and 2 of those heavy rubberized bowls that TS sales. The heavy rubber seems to retain heat or cold better than just a metal or plastic dish, but any pan that's that's only 4-6 inches deep or so would work IMO.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Yes, usually 3 nipples for a 5 gallon bucket. I ordered mine from QCSupply.com -- they had good prices and really cheap shipping.

7. paula and her chicks

paula and her chicks In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Thousand Oaks Calif.
    Hi I got my chicken nipples from www.farmtek.com 2.00 each! They learned really fast and now my 4 week olds are doing it! this is so less messy and i know they are getting fresh clean water Good Luck.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. dmbailey

dmbailey Hatching

Jul 23, 2009
    I have a water question to. My husband likes to dip a bucket of water out of our pool for my hens. I try to tell him that much chlorine is not good. He thinks it is okay. Any thoughts out there? I have had a few hens die at an early age two and a half and I wonder if it is because of the water.
    [email protected]

9. hueghy

hueghy In the Brooder

May 6, 2010
    Get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and a flower base bigger than the bucket for your chickens to get a drink. (I use an oil pan I bought brand new because it has 5 or 6 in sides.) drill a few 1/2 in holes an inch or 2 up from the bottom of the bucket and set it in the pan, fill up with water, put lid on tight and the water won't leak out any further than the holes making a nice automatic waterer.

10. Tofer76

Tofer76 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    I use nipple waters and love them!!![​IMG]
    bought mine from qcsupply online great price and cheap shipping

was going to order from farmtek but the shipping was more than the order total [​IMG]

will order more before long have a new idea in mind

www.qcsupply.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by