Watering my flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tanichca, May 6, 2009.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I live in a very hot climate, and with 4 one cup hanging waterers, I am replenishing my supply every hour or so. The birds poo in any waterers on the ground. Anyone have any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Our local feed stores carry larger waterers like 1 gallon and 3 gallons. There are also poultry supply companies that you can order waterers and watering systems from. You can find them on the internet by using a search engine like Google.com and search 'poultry supplies'. A number of them will come up. You may want to order from one online or request a catalog to order from. I use 1 gallon hanging waters that I purchased from our local feed store. Hope this helps.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    You need to keep a ton of big waterers around big pails/buckets/poultry waterers, anything you can you will figure out what works best for you.

AL

4. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    For about $15 you can have 3 of these:[​IMG]

1-4' piece of 3"pvc
    2-90 degree elbows
    1- 3" cap

Been in place for two weeks and poop free.

I built a little stage for them to stand on till they get full grown.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I definitely would recommend waterers that hold more. It would help you and the birds out a whole lot! How large you need, really depends on the number of chickens you have. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a gallon though. You can can also try putting the water up on some cinder blocks to get it off of the ground, if it isn't feasible to hang it.

Good luck to you and [​IMG] !

6. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Codybird - that's a good looking contraption. How do you keep the water from spilling out? You don't mention a float or other valve.

7. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
  8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Here are pictures of my waterers and feeders also the two hanging in the run.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  9. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Take my word for it.

Lay the pipe on its side.

Fill with water.

Stand up.

Water will not run out.

Vacuum.

Think of a mason jar chick waterer, except it's not glass and plastic and it doesn't unscrew and it's not red or yellow.

10. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Codybird, I like your contraption, but I'm still not quite getting the picture. How do you fill it when it is laying down? Do you funnel water in through the drinking hole? How much water do you think it holds? Are you tying it up against that board?

I made an auto feeder that works well. I'm very interested in making a waterer that won't leak.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by