Watering nipple mess

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Arkantex, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    I know alot of you guys and gals use watering nipples for your flocks. I have 22, 3-4 week old chicks and I have just started using the watering nipples for them. They are making a mess under the waterer. What do yall do to keep them from making such a mess and getting everything wet under the watering nipples?

2. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    What are the nipples in? I use a small container ( less than a gallon) because chicks can not drink all the water that comes out if the container has too much pressure.

3. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Well, that sounds like you have a leak or too many of the nipples in a small space. It's supposed to be 1 nipple per 10-13 birds if I recall.

I have 16 full-grown birds and 2 nipples between all of them.

I LOVE our waterer, btw. SO much easier.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. diggerthechickenman

diggerthechickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    alabama
    i haver to refil 5 gal waterers everyday i would love to see some pictures of your set up if you don't mind..if it would keep me from dumping waterers and rtefilling them with clean water every other day . i woll like to do this instead.

5. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    I am using 2 watering nipples. Each one is on a 1/2 gallon cranberry juice container. I don't currently have a pic and I am at work right now. I might be able to take a pic or 2 when I get home. I did put a vent hole in each one of the containers. Do you think that could be my problem? Possibly allowing to much water out because of the vent?

6. diggerthechickenman

Nov 2, 2011
    alabama
    arkantex,
    i also am at work , if you could send me a pic and i may be able to help, i have never used one but unless it seals at the nipple ( im guessing they work like a rabbit waterer) then yes probibly are just free flowing . like i said i have 5 galon waterers but i would think i could hook these right to a garden hose. . i am going to do some reasearch on these.

[edited for typos]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. MR.PEEPS

MR.PEEPS Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2011
    Stanwood
    I use a 5 gal bucket watere with 4 nipples on it. I sell nipples and premade wateres my nipple are heavy duty they dont leak. If your intristed in any send me a message k.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mr.peeps

8. diggerthechickenman

Nov 2, 2011
    alabama
    mr peeps,
    it does work like a rabbit waterer then? the pressure on the ball keeps it from leaking? also do you hang these and they drink looking up under the bucket? i wonder how long it would take my birds to figure out that was the waterer after drinking from the traditional waterer for 2+ years

9. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:Yes, the hole is the problem.

10. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Renee' :

Quote:Yes, the hole is the problem.

You need a vent hole, so it is not the problem. I think your nipples are leaking.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by