Watering nipples getting stuck...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by (sub)UrbanCoop, Dec 21, 2012.

1. (sub)UrbanCoop

(sub)UrbanCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    I have gone from a one gallon bell to a 3 gallon bucket and water nipples. I am finding that the nipples get stuck in an open position and drains out the bucket at least twice a week. What a pain!

Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening? Is there a lubricant I can use on the nipples?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you.

Edit to add photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. ChickenWaterer

ChickenWaterer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Palo Alto, CA
    Really hard to tell without pictures of your set up. One possibility is that the bucket is not level. This would cause the water to drip out at an angle. The surface tension of the water might cause a some of it to adhere to the stem of the valve and the side of the nipple. This would hold open the nipple valve and the water would drain out. Post some photos and I'll do the best to figure it out. -Mark

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Did you fill the bucket from a hose? If there is a big enough piece of grit of some sort that got into the water and lodged in the nipple, it will drip. OR, a small crack in the bucket itself. I had this happen after I dropped the bucket on the nipple but it could easily happen during installation -- I used aquarium sealant to fix mine.

4. (sub)UrbanCoop

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    Hey Mark. Thanks for the reply. I have posted some photos of the set up I've got in the run.

5. (sub)UrbanCoop

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    I do fill the bucket from the hose, but I always try to rinse off the actually hose not to drop the dirt back into the water (not to say that it still may not happen). No cracks, checked it thoroughly.

6. ChickenWaterer

Aug 20, 2012
    Palo Alto, CA
    I honestly can't see any reason why the nipples would leak based on your set up. It looks fairly level and the bucket is not so large as to create water pressure that's too high. Have you actually observed them stuck in the open position and leaking water or is this what you think is happening?

7. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    I had one get stuck in PVC waterer today too. The metal part was stuck in the drinking position. I flicked it with my finger and it started to operate correctly again. The water is clean but I suppose a small piece of debris might have caused it.

If it ever tries that again I'll replace it.

8. (sub)UrbanCoop

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    I've gone out to the coop and seen it stuck in the open position. I'll give the nipple a little tap to bring it back down.

9. (sub)UrbanCoop

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    Can the nipple be replaced without damage to the bucket? This was the two piece nipple insert. A plastic ring and then you insert in the nipple itself.

10. ChickenWaterer

Aug 20, 2012
    Palo Alto, CA
    It may just be the poultry nipples. I'll send you three of the poultry nipples I use in the manufacture of the BriteTap chicken waterer at no charge because its Christmas. I've not had any problems with these so they should work well for you. You may even be able to reuse the same bucket. Place some plumbers tape (teflon tape) on the threads before inserting them. You can buy plumbers tape at the hardware store. Let me know your email address by sending it to [email protected]. If you want to check out the BriteTap waterer visit our web site at ChickenWaterer.com. Have a great holiday. -Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by