Watering Nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Inmanfarm, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Inmanfarm

Inmanfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Oakland County, Michigan
    How Close Can A Watering Nipple Be From The Coop Floor?????

2. chicknbuns

chicknbuns Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Needs to be high enough for your chicken to just streatch out:) their necks to drink.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    For adult birds it should be right at about eye level or so they can just tilt their heads up to peck at the toggle. For most breeds this will be about 20"-21". For younger or smaller birds you can put a brick/block under it so they can climb up and reach the nipple.

4. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Response #2 is correct.

Response #3 is not.

At least according to the manufacturers of nipple drinker systems and experienced users (like me).

5. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Neil, you ARE response #3... NO?

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    If u note the number of posts u can see that Gallo IS experienced and IMOO gives good advice. many other posters have recommended his usuage actually u can't have it at the exact level for all ur birds if u have different breeds like I do. Some have to stretch a little and some have to turn their head sideways. At any rate I don't have a problem. When I get my next batch I will out a brick under it so they can reach the nipple too.

7. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Quote:I second Neil's post. Eye level may work but it is not optimum for the chickens health, growth and egg laying. When the chicken has to reach for the water, more makes it into there mouths and less on the ground. They get more with less work. Watch chickens that drink out of containers. They get a drink then lift their heads up above eye level to swallow. That is difficult when drinking from a nipple in a bucket that is not at the optimum height.

8. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    Feeling a little confused, is there a simple answer as to what is the correct height??

Thanks

9. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    It should be above head height but not so high that all birds can not reach it.

10. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    Thanks I changed the height by a couple inches and they seemed to all a sudden realize it was there.
    Here is a photo of one of my new Olive Eggers & Black Maran enjoying a drink. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty excited I've had my chickens not even a week yet, most of the days have been rainy and I haven't been able to get any great photos. Especially the black doesn't show up so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by