1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Watering question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by southpaw2022, Apr 26, 2009.

1. southpaw2022

southpaw2022 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    For now I have the big 5 gallon waterer with the base.. When I do the new coops and run there will be a small stream /slash pond area for the ducks with an autofill. Do you think that would be good enough for all the chickens to drink out of also?

It will have stable sides for them to stand at the edge with no chance for falling in (I've been building ponds on the side for 13 years now so I know what I am doing)

Also what would be a safe way to keep algea out of the 5 gallon drinker rather then having to clean it all the time... Its a pain in the bu** to clean the inside...lol much easier to clean my horse waters and dog waters then that thing... hehe

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Ducks are messy with water. Keep a separate waterer for the chickens.

It's just a matter of life to clean waterers every so often. <sigh> I hose mine out good & hard every time I fill it.

3. southpaw2022

Apr 24, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    this won't be a little pond... it will be at least 500 gallons....
    I doubt the ducks and dirty the water that much... or am I wrong.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Don't know about the pond. One of the reasons people put organic apple cider vinegar in their water is it keeps the algae growth way down. Helps a lot in my experience.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Also what would be a safe way to keep algea out of the 5 gallon drinker rather then having to clean it all the time...

Vinegar helps prevent algae.
    So does a few drops of unscented Clorox​

6. southpaw2022

Apr 24, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Any kind of Vinegar? Like can I just by the cheapest stuff I can find? How much do I put in??

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:Plain Apple Cider vinegar will work
    I put 1 cup in 5 gallons, or 1/4 cup per gallon in smaller waterers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by