Watering system - attempt #5-ish stainless nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2isgreen, Aug 11, 2013.

1. 2isgreen

2isgreen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    I have used three brands of threaded red plastic screw in nipples. I have drilled the right size hole in PVC, used silicone when installing, drained the system for winter... Basically done everything right. The problem is that the poor little nipples have a bunch of greedy chickens pecking at them all day just trying to make the seal fail. So I am stepping it up a notch.

Last week on amazon I got all stainless steel nipples. Body is stainless too. Including shipping they were almost 3 bucks each- well worth it if this is the last watering system I have to build.

The threads are 1/8" NPT (national pipe thread). This time around- I'm ditching the soft crappie PVC pipe in favor of 1/2" aluminum or galvanized pipe. Each hole will have to be drilled and tapped for the threads to screw in - making them serviceable and re-sealable.

Has anybody else gone this route?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    I will let y'all know if it works!

2. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    These are better, HORIZONTAL POULTRY WATERING NIPPLES 5 Pack FREE shipping. Especially if you use threaded tees to mount them. If you can't find 1/2"x1/2"x1/8"threaded tees you can use 1/2" tees and reducing bushings. These also have a really neat tapered thread that screws into PVC real well. Rich that sells the nipples might could help you with the tees as well as sell you the nipples.

I have heard terrible reports on people using the all stainless nipples for their chickens as they are mostly used for rabbits and other furry creatures. It has been reported that the parts come out inside the pipe you have them attached to, I have never used them so I don't know for sure. The horizontal Nipples are the way to go.

3. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Now that you have tried the rest here are the best. !00% satisfaction guaranteed and you can salvage the rest of your pvc system. My system pictured after over two years old no leaks yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    X2
    I have the horizontal ones. I will NEVEr use anything else.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by