watering systems

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RoyalCoopMom, Mar 26, 2015.

1. RoyalCoopMom

RoyalCoopMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    St Louis
  2. RoyalCoopMom

Feb 13, 2015
    St Louis
    Or would these work better. cost more $12.00 for 5 Free Shipping Makes them about the same cost as the horizontal ones I've seen.

[​IMG]

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I tried the vertical nipples then went to cups, like the second ones and finally went to the horizontal nipples. The vertical nipples always seemed to leak just a little and the cups seemed to always need cleaned out . I like the horizontal nipples, no leaks and if you use a closed container the water is always clean .I used a 10 penny nail to punch 2 holes in the top and it works fine. One other advantage to these nipples is that if you put them in a 5 gallon bucket with a birdbath heater they will still work in the winter, your other two choices won't. As far as cost goes if you look at the hose and other fittings you will need for the cups the cost is probably going to pretty close for a watering system that in St Lois will only work about 9 months a year because of freezing.

4. RoyalCoopMom

Feb 13, 2015
    St Louis
    Thanks for the info I think I'll give the horizontal ones a whirl. Was thinking I'd use the horizontals outside just because of the freezing issue and the cups in the coop.because I thought they would not drip as much but I don't want to be cleaning the cups all the time either. Didn't realize the the hoses would be different for the cups. I was thinking I would use the cups on a PVC system similar to the nipples. would prefer to have components for both the same. I'll try the horizontal nipples first.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    From what I've heard, the cups just plain don't work in freezing weather. The watermark for the second cup photo you posted says "Florida Outfitters", where it freezes I think once every 20 years.

We started with the vertical nipples and have since switched the the horizontal nipples. Horizontal nipples are the way to go, imo. Both vert and horiz nipples will dribble (aka "leak") when being actively used by a bird, however the horiz ones will only drip a few teaspoons whereas the vertical ones drip cups of water. The horiz ones are MUCH more freeze-worthy.

My setup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Imo pdirt has the perfect set up, very little in the way of leaks,no pipes to freeze and bust in the winter and it's simple. best of all it works in the winter which most watering systems won't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by