Watering very small flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ctchopper, Mar 2, 2014.

1. ctchopper

ctchopper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Acton, CA
    I'm new to raising chickens. So new, I don't even have them yet! I bought a metal feeder but, after tending to a neighbor's hens a few times, want something that will keep water cleaner. There is so much information on this site that I am thankful for, but I'm having trouble with choosing a watering system. I keep thinking that something like a giant rodent waterer (not the ball type but the kind that has a small reservoir at the bottom) that could hang off the side and be too narrow for them to try to roost on seems good but I haven't seen one. Which means there might be a flaw in my idea.

Narrow seems good because the run, now in process of being built, is only 3 x 10 and I'd like to not take up any more space than necessary. There will only be 3 hens. Has anyone seen this approach? Other suggestions? Very much appreciated.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. Hooligans7

Hooligans7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    North-central Arkansas
    ctchopper, your choice depends on your climate as well. A great choice in south Florida could be totally impractical in Minnesota and Missouri, so, in what state do you live? Also, you want to obtain chickens that are well suited to your local climate extremes.

4. ctchopper

Mar 2, 2014
    Acton, CA
    Thanks for the replies. I jumped in and picked up 5 day olds. I live in Acton, California so it is a high desert climate. As low as 20 degrees at night in winter and as high as 110 degrees in summer. They will have a small coop with a covered run that is about 4x10, and since it is next to the covered patio, the misters will reach them if it gets too hot in summer. I decided on the nipple method for watering, mostly to keep the water clean. Now that I've purchased it, the only drawback I can see is not knowing if the system fails - then they are out of water. I guess just checking it daily by pushing on one of the nipples works for that.

5. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    I second this!!!

Here are some pictures of my 5 gallon waterer..... It's the square "wind fresh" bucket with the horizontal nipple.

I tried EVERYTHING else over the past year and this is the BEST BY FAR!!!!

Look for a link in my signature line on how to make one of these very cheap!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Use clear containers so you can see the water level.

7. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Have you considered an auto fill system like this? That way they never run out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221377070471?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

8. ctchopper

Mar 2, 2014
    Acton, CA
    Makes sense to me! Thanks :)

9. ctchopper

Mar 2, 2014
    Acton, CA
    I saw this feeding system on an earlier post, most likely one of yours :). My husband has told me to take the $30 metal feeder back (before we use it) and he'll make one of these with three feeding holes. Thanks much for the ideas.

10. ctchopper

Mar 2, 2014
    Acton, CA
    Thanks. I'll check out a system like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by