1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Watering-why didn't I think of this before?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tracyree, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    So I don't have a water supply at the coop. I've been walking up the hill to the coop, carrying waterers back down, filling and carrying them back up. Annoying chore. Dawned on me to buy duplicate waterers today so I just fill up the extras, take them up there and bring down the others for the next day.

Aaaahhhhhh

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How far did you have to walk?

4. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    It's not terribly far, 50 yards uphill? I don't mind, but care for the chickens in stolen moments. Having a two year old keeps me away from the chickens more than I'd like.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yea, not too far. I had a water problem with my rabbits. The rabbit shed is WAYYYYYYY in the back of the property and the water hose didn't reach back there. I recycled and re-used old gallon water jugs (10 jugs) and kept them filled with water and when I went out to water, I would just use the gallon jugs to fill the rabbit waterers up. When the 10 jugs were empty, I would fill them up again and continue to do the same thing. The 10 gallons of water lasts about 2 weeks, so I only have to refill every 2 weeks.

6. Love2Homeschool

Love2Homeschool Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Texas
    Good idea! We have 2 5-gallon buckets with lids. I have my big 'ol son carry them to the pen for me and we use what we need and save the rest for later. I just leave the buckets in the chicken pen until we need the water, then have him refill them.

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Well look at the bright side...

It's not up hill both ways

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:[​IMG]

Op, what I do is stretch a hose out and fill the waterers. I have hose connected to hose until it reaches.

9. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    I forgot to mention, is Is uphill both ways and I plan on going barefoot in the snow this winter.

10. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Quote:[​IMG]

And the wind is always blowing in your face.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by