watering with poultry nipple questions

donaltman3

Chirping
Mar 29, 2017
Valdosta, GA
Hey all, I have a quick question. New to raising chickens and wasnt sure which forum to post in. Tonight is my chicks first night in thier coop, so I am nervous. This is also thier first night with automatic feeder (pvc gravity design) and also 5 gallon bucket plumbed to 3/4 inch pipe with poultry nipples. I think I installed it a little lower than it should be. However I have one chick that is considerably shorter than the rest. Will the tallest ones figure out how to bend thier head down and sideways to get to the nipples? I showed each one where the waterer was and how it worked before closing thier coop up for the night. Went and checked on them and all are sleeping. So nervous.

When my BRs were still in there brooder, I setup their nipple waterer at a height they all could reach from the floor. The goofballs would stand on their roost that was setup 3" above the nipple, they'd bend all the way down to drink. Fortunately, in a day or two they figured out it was easier to stand on the floor to drink. lol
I am hoping they figure it out.... I read of people trying to do dual waterers and it actually hindered them from learning the nipples with a conventional waterer available.

I'd be inclined to raise it and then put a brick or some kind of platform under one of the nipples, so the smaller one can also get access
It is hanging with zip ties but has to hand even horizontally or the nipples would leak I think. I'll check it out tonight.

welp they must uave figured it out. all look happy as can be in thier new house. I didnt see them all get water but I saw 2 out of 6 drink and another one use the feeder while they were all in the same area. Monkey see or should I say chicken see chicken do!

Back
Top Bottom