Watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mcjessen, Jun 16, 2011.

1. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Hi all -

I have a metal 2 gallon waterer for my three girls. I keep it in the run next to the door so I can access it easily. Because it's pretty large, I generally only change the water once a week. Plus, we've had a ton of rain so the trough essentially refills itself. Our temps have not gotten over 80 yet this season so I'm not concerned with evaporation. My question - do I need to change and refill more than once a week?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I always change their water everyday. I believe its the most important ingredient for animals & everything else as well.

3. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    If it's not overly dirty, once a week should be fine. I check mine daily, swish and dump the dirty stuff and refill as needed. Also, add a tablespoon per gallon of natural apple cider vinegar..it's great for the chickens' digestion plus it helps inhibit the growth of algae in the water.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Is the waterer open? Does it have any type of filter or block on it or does everything go into the bucket. That can bring all types of problems and growth. If so, you will probably need to clean frequently and adding some apple cider vinegar as kimntep suggested is a good idea.

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    The ACV is a great idea but not for metal waterers. The acid in the vinegar reacts with the metal. They do make a product you can use to put in any type of waterer called Poultry and Gamebird Water Protector and it's got enzymes that keep algae from growing.
    Fleming's carries it :

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/poultry-game-bird-waterer-protector-33-9-oz.html

JeffersLivestock.com also carries it:
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/product.asp?pn=0034946&camid=LIV

I clean mine daily when it's over 75 outside and sometimes twice daily when it's been like it has for the last month ...in the mid to high nineties. I use bleach and scrub them out and refill.

DE also works to inhibit algae. Food grade DE only, not the pool grade DE.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. Marshchick

Marshchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    I also have to 2 gal metal waterer. How much DE do you put in the water? I've seen here somewhere on BYC that you can add DE to water but can't find how much.

7. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I've not used the DE in water except in my pond. I use it by the cup for that.

I've only fed DE dry and also use it in my coop, run and nest boxes and their dusting pans since I still have my doubts on how it actually works when wet..ie to deworm and such.

I KNOW it will work dry...and it has helped with the algae in my koi pond...but don't know about how much for the waterers. You could try a TBL per gallon and shake well and see if that works. It won't hurt them. I've read in many articles that people swear by drinking a TBL 3 times a day in water..so surely a TBL per gallon won't hurt.

I'm ordering some of the Poultry and Gamebird Water Protector personally [​IMG]

8. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    I use the Poultry and Gamebird Water Protector and found it works well. The water never gets that funky smell anymore that had happened before using it.

Changing the water frequently is still an important point to remember.

9. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Thanks ChickenAl! I just placed my order last night, so it should be here by Tuesday. Can't wait to try it out!

10. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Also there was a post on here where someone who had made their own waterer out of a 55 gallon barrel using rainwater off of roof thru gutter system...they used 1/2 cup of bleach for 55 gallon barrel of water to keep water fresh and free of algae---said they had for years and would not hurt the birds...so you can always figure out ratio for your size you are needing from that..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by