Waterlogged eggs in cold weather

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LadyHawkeAvry, Mar 11, 2015.

1. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    We finally are having our spring thaw, and my mother goose walked out of the run in shed looking like a drowned rat. Her nest had flooded overnight, and she was sitting on four eggs that had been half submerged in melt water. I gave her a waterproof nesting box, but pulled the clutch she had and brought them inside. On candling, two had been developing for a dew days and two more looked to be only laid a day or so ago. I dried the eggs, weighed them, and threw them in the Brinsea with my duck eggs.

Has anyone had any success with wet eggs so early in the season? I know from looking through the forum that people have saved waterlogged eggs before, but the fact that the water was quite cold and these eggs were so recently laid is concerning to me.

2. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    My question has been answered by the eggs themselves! Despite soaking in ice cold water overnight, all four are developing in the incubator so far!!!! In two days the second two eggs developed visible veining and embryos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by