Watermaalsche Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JohnGalt, Feb 13, 2011.

1. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Galt's Gulch

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:I have never heard of them before but I think Antwerp Belgian Bantams should definitely be used to recreate them as they look quite similar. Also, maybe Silkies?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I have never heard of them before but I think Antwerp Belgian Bantams should definitely be used to recreate them as they look quite similar. Also, maybe Silkies?

Agreed, they do look very similar to dAnvers, actually they look like crested dAnvers. here is the feathersite page if anyone would like to see http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/BarbuWater/BRKBarbuWaterM.html.

So
    I would say contact Boggy Bottom Bantams and get you whatever color of dAnvers you want to use becuase Aubrey has or is making every imaginable color of them. And steal you some crests of of maybe some silkies and you should be able to go from there.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  4. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Galt's Gulch

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  5. KristenR

KristenR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Centralia, WA
    I am assuming you are referring to the breed Barbu d' Watermaal? They are actually cousins of the dAnver. They have a similar standard and are actually recognized by the ABA Standard of Perfection. They are currently considered an inactive breed so you will not find their description in the current edition of the ABA. I have the standards on my old computer - just a matter of diggin them up. I am actually in the process of recreating them myself. The standards differ from the d'Anver in that the Watermaals tend not to have bull necks and are smaller in size with a narrower, lower carried tail. They are supposed to have white earlobes instead of red and should have a triple spiked rose comb. I have Blue Quail birds right now that would actually qualify in all aspects of the breed at a show but do not yet breed true. The crest should approach that of a tassel (little larger than a tassel) in the male and should be small to medium sized in the females. There should not be skull modification as typically seen in the Polish (you know - the knob on the top of the head that gives Polish a huge crest) and to have a knob is a disqualification. I used a Silkie/Japanese mix hen that I picked up and incorporated her genes into my d'Anver stock using birds that showed the fault of a double spiked comb and found all the genes I needed for the breed from there.

Good luck.

Kristen

6. KristenR

KristenR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Centralia, WA
    Okay, I had to add some pictures of my birds, can't help myself. I'm proud of my cuties!
    My favorite Blue Quail pullet:
    [​IMG]
    A picture of my Blue and Red male with a nicely defined triple spike on his rose comb!
    [​IMG]
    My Blue pullet:
    http://belgiandanver.webs.com/photos/Watermaal-Project/chickenpics 069.JPG
    Splash pullet:
    http://belgiandanver.webs.com/photos/Watermaal-Project/chickenpics 080.JPG
    Blue and Red male:
    http://belgiandanver.webs.com/photos/Watermaal-Project/chickenpics%20064.JPG
    A Blue Quail male:
    http://belgiandanver.webs.com/photos/Watermaal-Project/chickenpics 049.JPG

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    About five years ago some breeder in NY was selling a pair of them which they were Canadian imports. It was sold to a US breeder. I do not have any information regarding on this breeder or anyone else having them. I would not be surprised if a breeder or two has been going underground with these breeds.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Wow! That is awesome- nice work!!!!! How the heck do you work toward a triple spike
    in the rose comb? Reason I ask is I'm working on Orloffs and they should haev a spikeless rose comb.
    Do you have to keep breeding until you get an anomaly?

10. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I thought Orloffs had Walnut Combs....? I think I saw that in the ABA Standard.... I like the Watermaalsche Bantams too...very attractive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by