Watermarking your pictures: Better safe than sorry

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickLover98, Jul 16, 2011.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    After reading several posts where user's images were stolen and used, I have decided to start watermarking my pictures using http://picmarkr.com. I thought its better safe than sorry. The only images that will not be watermarked are those for the calendar project and the ones that are already posted on BYC. After that, I will watermark all chicken, egg, and chick pics. I'd suggest watermarking your pictures, too.

Here are some examples of my new pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

That didn't take long Randy!! Point made I guess. ......stan

4. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] I guess where there's a will there's a way. [​IMG]

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Your watermarks are definitely insufficient if you want to actually protect your photos from theft, ChickLover98. As Randy illustrated, a simple crop removes your tiny watermark at the bottom of your photo. As much as people hate to 'ruin' photos, you need to have a watermark at the focus point of the picture, something that CAN'T get cut out without ruining it. Usually near the center. When tastefully done, this can protect your photo and not block or distort the object of your photo.

6. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    You don't really even have to crop anything:
    [​IMG]

7. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:That was fast. LOL.

8. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    The watermark should be a translucent writing across the main part of the picture, otherwise you will just have people find ways to use your image anyhow, as the above posters did.

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Aye, these are the most effective, and the hardest to remove by cropping/clone tools/etc.:
    http://www.dphotojournal.com/watermarking-adding-copyright-with-photoshop/
    (ironically...not my photo or tutorial [​IMG] )
    Transparent copyrights over the main focus of the image make it much more time than it is worth to remove, and still don't distract terribly from the image.
    Watermarks work best when they are specific. Something like your name or website link that will help people call out frauds when they see the image reposted.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  10. megs1001

megs1001 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Always a good idea. [​IMG]

Something you may want to consider though, if you're really concerned that you need to protect your images, is to move the watermarks up into the subject of the image instead of along the edges where they can quite easily be cropped out by evil-doers.
    Some photo-editing software programs have built-in watermark tools or you can add a semi-transparent layer of text. Granted it does draw the viewers' attention a little more & maybe slightly diminish the "beauty" of an image, but overall, its not really THAT obtrusive and it can save you heartache later.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by