Watermelon and baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pnkbrry24, Jun 27, 2011.

1. pnkbrry24

pnkbrry24 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    California
    Can my week old chicks eat watermelon, they seem really hot so I want them to enough water. Thanks!!

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Yes. A lot of people says their chicks love it, although mine don't like it at all.

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I have fed my chicks meal worms, and bird seeds because I have parrots also. I give them sand for grit.
    I tried giving them dandelion greens, but they shunned it, lol. I want them to learn to love all foods.
    Of course the ones I have fed are my 2.5 weeks old, not the ones that are under a week. However the man at Tractor supply said that they can eat anything that I want to feed them, as long as it is on the chicken safe list.
    They LOVE the meal worms. They will jump a foot in the air to get them out of my hands, lol

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I like getting my babies used to spinach because we have snow here. When they can't get to any green stuff out side..they really like the spinach..and yogurt. We have a cherry tree, and the older girls are liking the cherries that fall off. I like to mix boiled eggs with the yogurt, and some vita sol with it once in a while for their protein...big girls... Oh boy, step back if you don't want stuff flying all over you when they start at that, then shaking their heads..cute to watch.

5. bitbythechick

bitbythechick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Corvallis
    I found out last night my two week old babies do NOT like brussel sprout leaves... They live in my living room right now cause I hatched to many to far apart and I don't want fighting so I have been giving them my trimings from dinner and so far they like every thing but the brussels [​IMG]

6. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Yes.. but be prepared for sticky, red chickies! [​IMG]

7. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    My chickens love watermelon. They eat it down to a very thin green skin. I now have mango-faced chickens! they stick their faces in the mangoes, then go take a dirt bath - their faces are all black! I occasionally pick off some mango leather off their combs - yesterday it rained, they got wet, and their faces got clean! It was amazing to see such clean little faces - I'll actually be glad when mango season is over - I have to process mangoes every day, and give them away by the bushels. I even bought a food dehydrator, so I can make mango fruit rollups:lol: That's Florida living!

8. Vtchicks

Vtchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Rutland, VT
    Just make sure they have some "chick grit", I gave my week olds some and they love it. Although it did take a few hours for them to figure out it was food and not something that was going to attack them. I now know why they call people that are afraid of something "chickens".

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Medieval England, Iowa
    Quote:my ckickens love watermelon but will not under any circumstances eat carrots [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by