watermelon, ducks and dogs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Sep 11, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Dogs and ducks love watermelon here.
    I tried growing them, but Abby (the dane) kept jumping the garden fence and stealing them. Then what she left were rotting before they were ready to be picked.

A few more in the garden were rotting before they were ready to pick, so I tossed one to DH. He threw it for Tavarish (dobe). He bit it in half and ran off with his section. Ducks ate the meat of the other half.
    About 10 mins later, Abby discovered the remaining bit of the rind and picked it up. Both ducks ran after her and Ally was eating off what was sticking out of Abby’s mouth and trying to get it from her while Cadbury was trying to grab it from her as well. Abby was just moving in circles trying to keep her find from the ducks and they just kept running after and grabbing back at their left over rind.

Crazy animals!

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Yup, I have to keep my chocolate labrador in the house when I'm feeding watermelon to the chickens. He eats it--rind and all.

3. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I've got an australian shepherd mix that loves watermelon and also lines up for her share of frozen peas. When she starts begging for worms and crickets then I know I will have a problem.

4. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Oh no... my greyhound lines up for the dried mealworms!! She also tries to clean up what falls on the ground under the ducks. She doesn't even notice that her head and ears are being pecked at by the angry ducks! I guess I have a problem!!! [​IMG]

5. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup same with me! I have to keep the doggies in the house while I feed the ducks their treats, especially watermelon! The dogs will dominate and push the ducks out of the way. Piggies!! lol

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ducks ignored a cucumber in their yard yesterday, so I gave it to the dane this morning. Both ducks ran after her looking for pieces. She was kind enough to chew a piece off for them and share. Guess they get along just fine lol

7. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Just don't let your dog eat the watermelon stalk, or any bits with the stalk attached. My Labrador did last year (on his birthday) and ended up with it stuck in his bowel. He spent a week in doggie hospital on a drip being fed paraffin till the stalk came out the other end.

He still loves watermelon - just stalkless! [​IMG]

8. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm pretty sure we are going to have lots of "wild" watermelon in the woods where the duck pool gets drained. My pekins are watermelon hogs, commonly sporting a pink tinged head.

9. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:My mealworm farm is still in its infant stage... so I'm not sure what my dogs will think of those.

Speaking of treats and problems, does anyone have an old aquarium sitting around and start thinking "I bet I could raise fish, snails, or crayfish in there as extra treats for my ducks..."

10. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Wait, what? Mealworm farm? Do tell!! Those suckers are expensive! I'd love to hear more. (another topic maybe?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by