watermelon for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shark Akhrrana, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Shark Akhrrana

Shark Akhrrana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicken Land
    I went out to do some errands and when I came back home it was rather late. I went to check on my 4 week old Brahma chicks only to find someone fed them watermelon. I'm not sure if they should be eating that at such an early age. :(

Should I be worried?

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry about it, They probably loved it. But like with any kids, if they fill up on treats they will refuse dinner and not get the nutrition they need.

3. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

DonĀ“t worry!I bet they loved it!!

4. Shark Akhrrana

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicken Land
    Glad to know. I was worried they could get sick if they ate to much of it.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I'm sure they enjoyed it but remember they need grit if they start eating food that isn't their chick starter. When it's really hot I dice up watermelon and freeze it, extra special treat for my flock :)

6. Shark Akhrrana

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicken Land
    It is rather hot out here. They are eating all right i believe. mostly chick starter. I also give them Chick scratch in a different container. I'm glad the watermelon is OK for them. I think i will do what you do also. Now about the grit. Is there a special Chick grit?

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Yep, my package just says "Chick grit", it's smaller in size which is what they need. They can't digest food without it. I don't think eating something without grit one time is going to cause a problem, but I wouldn't give them anything else until you have them on grit. If they can't "chew" the food then it's going to pile up in their gizzard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by