watermelon Loving Chickens!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LindsayB, Jun 17, 2008.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    My hens absolutely LOVE watermelon! It really helps them out too since its so hot here in texas! I just put 2 big slices in their run around noon, and after a few hours its completely gone! This much wont hurt them will it? I figured it would help them get extra water...

2. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi, my chickens love watermelon, too. I give them atleast half of one chilled on real hot days. Last year they got one everyday ( cheaper then).
    I do have some growing in the garden,if the coons don't get them first,lol.
    I hear ya about the heat... it's not even summer yet.

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    mine love it to.

4. SierraMA

SierraMA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Cape Cod, MA
    Mine love them too. My daughter loves watermelon so I usually give them the rinds after she has eaten it in the morning and when I come home all the pink is gone!! They also love cantaloupe too.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Watermelons are a huge favorite, and perfectly safe to feed to your feathered ones.

6. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    mine love it see? also you can see its tongue too [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    Mine all love watermelon, honey dew and cantelope. I made fruit salad and after getting the pieces with the melon baller I put the halves of melons out which still had lots of fruit. they ate them all right down to the skin. I also took the honey dew seeds and cantelope seeds in one of the skins and mixed yogurt in it they loved it.

8. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    No kidding? I have watermelon that is going to need to be eaten up soon. I will try mine and see if they like it. Thanks for the idea.

9. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I read somewhere yesterday that feed them watermelon to help keep them cool in the hot temps. I am sure they would eat it no matter the temp.

10. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    There isn't probably much that a chicken won't eat! They love strawberries too. Not to get off the beaten path they love snow too! They seem to think it is ice cream to them lol! I have heard that chickens are attracted to the color red. Do chickens actually see colors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by